[App_rpt-users] node stops talking to URI

Jim Duuuude telesistant at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 19 09:07:33 EDT 2010


are you saying that merely stopping and starting Asterisk does not fix 
the problem. You actually HAVE to reboot to get it going again??

JIM WB6NIL

> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 08:49:58 -0400
> From: jrorke at cogeco.ca
> To: app_rpt-users at qrvc.com
> Subject: [App_rpt-users] node stops talking to URI
> 
>   Hi All, I have been having this problem for quire some time.
> I have a server box that has 2 nodes on it with URIs.
> The first node is 2379 (USB0) and the second is 2416 (USB1).
> The problem is the first node seems to stop talking to the URI randomly.
> The computer says its still connected to the URI but the URI wont key 
> the radio nor any RX audio comes through when this happens.
> Asterisk reports the 2 nodes connected internally when its in this faild 
> mode and I can get audio from the second node 2416 if I am connected to 
> 2379 with an other node but no audio is transmitted out on 2379.
> 
> The 2 nodes are simplex nodes. These 2 nodes create a link bridge to 
> connect 2 repeaters together.
> I normally have a start up macro to connect the 2 nodes and its a perm 
> link.
> When the first node stops talking to the URI the kink goes down between 
> the 2 repeaters.
> 
> We tried swapping the 2 URIs to see if the problem follows the URI but 
> no it always happens on the first node 2379.
> 
> The only way I know how to get it going again is to remotely reboot the 
> box. Nothing else will get the node working again.
> 
> The original box (p4 3 gig IBM) was set up the same way and the same 
> thing was happening once every 2 to 3 weeks.
> Since then that original box died- ps failure so I rebuilt the box in 
> July on an other machine (p4 3gig HP).
> Now we get the same failure but much more often.  Now it happens on the 
> average once aver 2 days and some times within 8 hours of a re boot!
> 
> When I rebuilt the node I used the latest Acid cd at the time and re did 
> all the conf files with the latest configs so no copying from the 
> original backup files. So this is 2 different computers with 2 different 
> builds with the same problem.
> 
> Here's the node info :
> 
> app Rpt  version 0.255
> These are migrated nodes.
> The URIs are original CM108 units.
> 
> I did report this issue some time ago but nobody has any ideas as to 
> whats going on. This time I knbow its got to be something in software on 
> the first node.
> Sorry for the long post but this has been nagging me for some time and 
> now its getting to the point that I have to reboot the box before nets 
> to make sure its working and even then there is no guarantee it will 
> stay connected.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Jon VA3RQ
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> App_rpt-users mailing list
> App_rpt-users at qrvc.com
> http://qrvc.com/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users
 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.allstarlink.org/pipermail/app_rpt-users/attachments/20100919/5ce2948b/attachment.html>


More information about the App_rpt-users mailing list