[App_rpt-users] Compiling/running the AllStarLink "trunk" on, a 3.x+ Linux kernel system

Stacy kg7qin at arrl.net
Mon Aug 17 15:55:29 EDT 2015


Steve,
Thanks.  Hmm, wonder why this never showed up in my search?  Oh well, at
least I learned something about the autoconfig stuff doing this.

I will take a look at it when I get a chance.

Thanks.

-Stacy

On 08/17/2015 09:38 AM, Steve Zingman wrote:
> Stacey,
> Everything you need to install AllStar Asterisk on Debian is at:
> github.com/N4IRS/AllStar Works on ARM X86 and X64.
> Patches for DAHDI, SSL etc. Including scripts to do it all for you.
>
> 73, Steve N4IRS
>
>
> On 8/17/2015 12:00 PM, app_rpt-users-request at ohnosec.org wrote:
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 08:50:47 -0700
>> From: Stacy<kg7qin at arrl.net>
>> To:app_rpt-users at ohnosec.org
>> Subject: [App_rpt-users] Compiling/running the AllStarLink "trunk" on
>>     a 3.x+ Linux kernel system
>> Message-ID:<55D202D7.80101 at arrl.net>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>>
>> All-
>> FYI.  I wasn't able to find any information on how to do this, so I took
>> Friday night/Saturday to hack on the files from the "trunk" branch of
>> the AllStarLink repository, getting asterisk to compile and successfully
>> run under a 3.x+ kernel.
>>
>> More info here:
>> https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/allstarlink-on-a-3-x-linux-kernel.490024/
>>
>>
>> Github repository with files I used to do this:
>> https://github.com/KG7QIN/AllStarLink
>>
>> Note that I also provide a patch for the DAHDI 2.10.2+2.10.2 complete
>> driver for it to work with AllStarLink.
>>
>> After setting up my Raspberry PI B+ as an AllStar node, I wanted to run
>> this on other system for experimentation (I used VK2ACP's Github
>> repository for this, but I had to port the patch to the newer DAHDI
>> driver since the one he had wouldn't compile on the version of ArchLinux
>> I was running due to the IOCTL calls used.).
>>
>> I didn't like that I couldn't compile this on a Debian distro running a
>> 3.x+ kernel using the files provided from the repository.  After a bit
>> of searching, it seems that this was a common problem with not many
>> people trying to do it (or for those that have done it, having the
>> information readily accessible on the web -- I was able to mostly find
>> the images that people have from their work on this).
>>
>> I had tried to port the zaptel driver over to the 3.x+ kernel, but with
>> the changes to the IOCTL calls between kernels, as well as some other
>> changes, it didn't work.  (I even unsuccessfully tried to post a $50
>> bounty for someone to do the conversion on bountysource.com, but it went
>> unclaimed and I ended up killing it).
>>
>> After letting this sit for a few months, I decided to try another shot
>> at it.  Since I had some free time on my hands, I decided to try my hand
>> at "solving" this problem and getting the software to compile and run on
>> my laptop (running Ubuntu 15.04).
>>
>> I installed the necessary build dependencies for asterisk from the
>> Ubuntu repositories which let me compile most of AllStarLink asterisk,
>> and proceeded to narrow down why res_crypto wouldn't compile (I was able
>> to get the system to partially work without this, but it wouldn't accept
>> calls from the AllStarLink telephone portal due to not being able to
>> verify the public key used).
>>
>> After playing with OpenSSL (I thought the problem lied in how the Ubuntu
>> folks compiled it), and trying to force res_crypto to compile (causing
>> asterisk to crash when loaded), I found it came down to the test for
>> OpenSSL that is used in the configuration script.  I did some digging
>> and found that configure.ac was the main source for this, and I was able
>> to find the offending lines that created the test condition that would
>> fail and make the build scripts not compile in res_crypto.
>>
>> Since the autobuild scripts seems to be some black magic that I wasn't
>> steeped in, I decided to see how a newer version of Asterisk handled the
>> test for OpenSSL and downloaded Asterisk 1.8.  Looking at its
>> configure.ac, I saw the lines that they used for the test and copied
>> them over, replacing the old ssl2_connect test that was failing.  After
>> running bootstrap.sh to refresh the config scripts and commending out a
>> check for SED (that makes configure bomb out), I ran a make menuconfig
>> and saw that res_crypto was no longer X'd out.  A quick compile, install
>> and configuration of the node shows that it works.
>>
>> I really like the concept behind the AllStarLink network and think Jim
>> Dixon (et all) have done a great job with it.  Having been exposed to
>> asterisk through an article in Usenix back in 2005/2006 (and using it
>> ever since for my own phone system), I never realized what the
>> pciradio/etc stuff was really for.  It wasn't until I got my ham radio
>> license in January that I really started to learn what the "other stuff"
>> in asterisk was for.
>>
>> Anyways, I'm sharing this with the hope that someone else may use it.
>> It works for me, but it may not work for you.
>>
>> 73s,
>> Stacy (KG7QIN)
>




More information about the App_rpt-users mailing list