[App_rpt-users] RB stability, was: Dial Watchdog Function

Jeff Carrier k0jsc.jeff at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 17:01:51 EST 2015


I'm curious as to why allmon would be an issue?  I'm running 2 allmon
servers which monitor up to 12 nodes with 5 remote bases and have not had
issues.  What is the problem that allmon causes?

de K0JSC

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Kenneth Grimard <n1dot1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> allmon and allmon2 will cause an issue. if you do not use them you will not
> have the problem steve. it can be made to cause a crash every time
> when used.
>
> this is why i have taken the remote base node off the allmon2 page's
> on dial. and will have to do the same for the acid build also.
>
> i am working with dial to make the migration to new
> hardware sooner or later.
>
> ken n1dot
>
>
>
> On 12/12/2015 2:25 PM, Steve Zingman wrote:
>
>> I don't have any stability issues with the 706 and the basic rpt remote
>> base code.
>> I don't need hamlib. Admittedly, I don't use Aallmon in it. I'll have to
>> try it.
>>
>> YMMV
>>
>> 73, Steve N4IRS
>>
>>
>> On 12/12/2015 02:20 PM, David McGough wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ken,
>>>
>>> Interesting that having allmon2 probe the RB stats causes a Asterisk
>>> crash...Back in yesteryear I tried to run a 706mkiig RB using the
>>> built-in
>>> code and never had good results--YES, it did work. But, Asterisk wasn't
>>> stable very long, frequently crashing several times a day, depending on
>>> use.  Various serial communications issues with the radio would
>>> -sporadically- "knock it for a loop" too. I concluded that their was
>>> probably memory getting clobbered somewhere.
>>>
>>> If I disabled the RB command support, the Asterisk stability
>>> skyrocketed--uptimes now measured in weeks, months or longer. As an
>>> example, here are the stats from one of my RB systems now:
>>>
>>> TX time today....................................: 01:12:27.95
>>> TX time since system initialization..............: 87:37:42.861
>>> Uptime...........................................: 1336:34:22
>>>
>>> It has been up 55 days without any issues....And, as you can see, it gets
>>> used--But, I now use hamlib for all RB commands.
>>>
>>>
>>> 73, David KB4FXC
>>>
>>>
>>> On Sat, 12 Dec 2015, Kenneth Grimard wrote:
>>>
>>> the crash is caused when accessing the the remote base node
>>>> using the asterisk manager interface via allmon2
>>>> by the way.
>>>>
>>>> ken n1dot
>>>>
>>>> On 12/12/2015 2:02 PM, Steve Zingman wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Ken,
>>>>> I now better understand. I'll work on something that will solve the
>>>>> restart from crash.
>>>>> I will also look into what is causing the crash since I also have a
>>>>> 706 as a remote base.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks, Steve
>>>>>
>>>>> On 12/12/2015 01:50 PM, Kenneth Grimard wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> hi steve
>>>>>>
>>>>>> the main issue steve is not the fact that
>>>>>> service asterisk restart does not work.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> but the main issue is that if asterisk crashes for any reason
>>>>>> it will not restart itself. because of this i also can not use
>>>>>> cop,1 cop command which is asterisk restart.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> cop,1 will cause asterisk to exit for restart but asterisk will
>>>>>> not restart via a watchdog script.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> safe_asterisk used to do this very nicely but it has been eliminated.
>>>>>> and you only use the asterisk service script under systemd.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> yes the version of the asterisk service script i have here from the
>>>>>> dial build from about 4 to 5 weeks ago the
>>>>>> service asterisk restart does not work.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> it force's me to use service asterisk stop to remove the
>>>>>> asterisk.ctl file from the /var/run and the
>>>>>> the service asterisk start will then work allowing asterisk
>>>>>> to be restarted proprely.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I also have a node setup for remote base mode using an
>>>>>> ic-706mkiig and sometimes that will cause a crash with it.
>>>>>> when asterisk is accessed via an allmon2 dashboard.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I have had to take the remote base node off of the
>>>>>> allmon2 page to stop this crashing.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> it will do it every time too.
>>>>>> that is something with the old remote base code
>>>>>> with in app_rpt.c too which has never been fixed.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> this is why the asterisk auto restart on crash would be very nice
>>>>>>
>>>>>> where can i find a new or updated asterisk service script.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> can i get it from the rpi2 dial image and put in the
>>>>>> dial x86 build with out having to re-install
>>>>>> dial x86 image?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> otherwise for the most part asterisk under dial has been
>>>>>> fairly stable. but i can make it crash under certain conditions
>>>>>> which i try to avoid. like using allmon2 to access
>>>>>> the remote base node via the asterisk manager
>>>>>> interface.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> ken n1dot
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On 12/12/2015 1:01 PM, Steve Zingman wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Ken,
>>>>>>> As I posted below I could not recreate your issue. is there anything
>>>>>>> I'm missing?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> 73, Steve
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> root at repeater:~# asterisk -r
>>>>>>> Asterisk 1519, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2008 Digium, Inc. and others.
>>>>>>> Created by Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com>
>>>>>>> Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type 'core show
>>>>>>> warranty' for details.
>>>>>>> This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU
>>>>>>> General Public
>>>>>>> License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to
>>>>>>> redistribute it under
>>>>>>> certain conditions. Type 'core show license' for details.
>>>>>>> =========================================================================
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Connected to Asterisk 1519 currently running on repeater (pid = 4407)
>>>>>>> repeater*CLI> rpt cmd 2150 cop 1 2150
>>>>>>> repeater*CLI> Killed
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> root at repeater:~# service asterisk restart
>>>>>>> root at repeater:~# asterisk -r
>>>>>>> Asterisk 1519, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2008 Digium, Inc. and others.
>>>>>>> Created by Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com>
>>>>>>> Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type 'core show
>>>>>>> warranty' for details.
>>>>>>> This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU
>>>>>>> General Public
>>>>>>> License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to
>>>>>>> redistribute it under
>>>>>>> certain conditions. Type 'core show license' for details.
>>>>>>> =========================================================================
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Connected to Asterisk 1519 currently running on repeater (pid = 4462)
>>>>>>> repeater*CLI>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On 12/12/2015 11:50 AM, Kenneth Grimard wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I download the dial release and installed it just after is first
>>>>>>>> came out
>>>>>>>> that was about 4 weeks ago.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> now if asterisk crash for any reason or if you use the cop,1 cop
>>>>>>>> command
>>>>>>>> it will not restart is self at all. you have to go into an ssh
>>>>>>>> shell and issue a
>>>>>>>> service asterisk stop then a service asterisk start.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> the service asterisk restart does not work for me on the x86
>>>>>>>> release.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> there seems to be no way for asterisk to restart itself after a
>>>>>>>> crash
>>>>>>>> or after using the cop,1 cop command.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> has there been any updates to the asterisk service command
>>>>>>>> for systemd to fix this?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> ken n1dot
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On 12/12/2015 7:16 AM, Steve Zingman wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Neil,
>>>>>>>>> I misread your message last night.
>>>>>>>>> I just tested service asterisk restart on DIAL x86 restarts a dead
>>>>>>>>> asterisk. See below.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# ps ax | grep asterisk
>>>>>>>>>   1081 ?        Ssl    0:01 /usr/sbin/asterisk
>>>>>>>>>   1117 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep asterisk
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# kill -9 1081
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# ps ax | grep asterisk
>>>>>>>>>   1125 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep asterisk
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# asterisk -r
>>>>>>>>> Asterisk 1519, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2008 Digium, Inc. and others.
>>>>>>>>> Created by Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com>
>>>>>>>>> Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type 'core show
>>>>>>>>> warranty' for details.
>>>>>>>>> This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU
>>>>>>>>> General Public
>>>>>>>>> License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to
>>>>>>>>> redistribute it under
>>>>>>>>> certain conditions. Type 'core show license' for details.
>>>>>>>>> =========================================================================
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk.ctl
>>>>>>>>> exist?)
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# service asterisk restart
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# ps ax | grep asterisk
>>>>>>>>>   1143 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/sbin/asterisk
>>>>>>>>>   1171 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep asterisk
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# asterisk -r
>>>>>>>>> Asterisk 1519, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2008 Digium, Inc. and others.
>>>>>>>>> Created by Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com>
>>>>>>>>> Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type 'core show
>>>>>>>>> warranty' for details.
>>>>>>>>> This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU
>>>>>>>>> General Public
>>>>>>>>> License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to
>>>>>>>>> redistribute it under
>>>>>>>>> certain conditions. Type 'core show license' for details.
>>>>>>>>> =========================================================================
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Connected to Asterisk 1519 currently running on repeater (pid =
>>>>>>>>> 1143)
>>>>>>>>> repeater*CLI>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> 73, Steve N4IRS
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> On 12/12/2015 12:44 AM, Neil k8it wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Steve
>>>>>>>>>> I have been evaluating Dial on a Linux PC
>>>>>>>>>> Observations
>>>>>>>>>> 1. When asterisk crashes, there is no restart or watchdog
>>>>>>>>>> 2.this makes debugging very difficult
>>>>>>>>>> 3.asterisk service mode restart does not seem to work
>>>>>>>>>> 4. in this mode remote SSH to restart is not possible
>>>>>>>>>> Do you have any fixes planned?
>>>>>>>>>> Thanks
>>>>>>>>>> 73 Neil Sablatzky  K8IT
>>>>>>>>>> Allstar Node 41838 KITLINK
>>>>>>>>>> Allstar Node 42087 KITLINK HUB
>>>>>>>>>> IRLP Node exp0068
>>>>>>>>>> Echolink K8IT-L
>>>>>>>>>> WIRES-X K8IT 11479 Room 21479
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>      .
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>> "Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking
>>>>>>>>> about."
>>>>>>>>> 1st Law of Logic
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>>> App_rpt-users mailing list
>>>>>>>>> App_rpt-users at ohnosec.org
>>>>>>>>> http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this list please visithttp://
>>>>>>>>> ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll
>>>>>>>>> down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the
>>>>>>>>> "Unsubscribe or edit options button"
>>>>>>>>> You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email
>>>>>>>>> confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to
>>>>>>>>> the list detailing the problem.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> <
>>>>>>>> https://www.avast.com/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>     This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by
>>>>>>>> Avast.
>>>>>>>> www.avast.com
>>>>>>>> <
>>>>>>>> https://www.avast.com/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>> App_rpt-users mailing list
>>>>>>>> App_rpt-users at ohnosec.org
>>>>>>>> http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this list please visithttp://
>>>>>>>> ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down
>>>>>>>> to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the
>>>>>>>> "Unsubscribe or edit options button"
>>>>>>>> You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email
>>>>>>>> confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to
>>>>>>>> the list detailing the problem.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>> "Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
>>>>>>> 1st Law of Logic
>>>>>>>
>>>>>> <
>>>>>> https://www.avast.com/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>     This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by
>>>>>> Avast.
>>>>>> www.avast.com
>>>>>> <
>>>>>> https://www.avast.com/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>> "Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
>>>>> 1st Law of Logic
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ---
>>>> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
>>>> https://www.avast.com/antivirus
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>> App_rpt-users mailing list
>>> App_rpt-users at ohnosec.org
>>> http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users
>>>
>>> To unsubscribe from this list please visit
>>> http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll
>>> down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the
>>> "Unsubscribe or edit options button"
>>> You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email
>>> confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to
>>> the list detailing the problem.
>>>
>>
>>
>
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> https://www.avast.com/antivirus
>
> _______________________________________________
> App_rpt-users mailing list
> App_rpt-users at ohnosec.org
> http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users
>
> To unsubscribe from this list please visit
> http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down
> to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the
> "Unsubscribe or edit options button"
> You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email
> confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to
> the list detailing the problem.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.allstarlink.org/pipermail/app_rpt-users/attachments/20151212/3e4f75cd/attachment.html>


More information about the App_rpt-users mailing list