Creating new users for iaxrpt on PC and DVSwitch

I have always been a bit confused as to how you add new users (a friend etc) to be able to login to my node and use it.

I see there are 2 diff stanzas (iaxrpt and iaxclient) one for iaxrpt app on PC and another for Zoiper/DVSwitch etc. I have had this set up and working on PC and DVSwitch for a long time just for me. I just tried copying the exact iaxclient stanza and changing the name and password, then leaving the name the same as described in the wiki and only changing the password but I just cannot make it work without breaking it/getting errors in DVSwitch. Can someone please explain how to add a user? (I have searched the forums using different terms but come up empty).

[iaxrpt] ; Connect from iaxrpt Username field (PC AllStar Client)
type = user ; Notice type is user here <---------------
context = iaxrpt ; Context to jump to in extensions.conf
auth = md5
secret = ********
host = dynamic
disallow = all
allow = ulaw
allow = adpcm
allow = gsm
transfer = no

[iaxclient] ; Connect from iax client (Zoiper…)
type = friend ; Notice type here is friend <--------------
context = iax-client ; Context to jump to in extensions.conf
auth = md5
secret = *******
host = dynamic
disallow = all
allow = ulaw
allow = adpcm
allow = gsm
transfer = no

edit iax.conf
windows iaxrpt
[change_me]
user=change_me
type=user
context=radio-iaxrpt
auth=md5
; add a password of your selection for secret
secret=change_me ; PASSWORD
host=dynamic
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=gsm
transfer=no
requirecalltoken=no

DVswitch mobile
[change_me] ; The stanza is the Username from the phone app
type=friend
context=phone-iaxrpt
host=dynamic
auth=md5
secret=change_me ; PASSWORD
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
transfer=no
calltokenoptional=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
requirecalltoken=no

save the file then:
astres.sh

Thank you.

There is no “phone-iaxrpt” stanza in the extensions file. I am using stock ASL. We are apparently not using the same build.

https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Extensions.conf

I did have a [zoiper] stanza in extensions.conf and changed that to [phone-iaxrpt] and it works. Also nifty that it adds -P to the connected node name and node info says phone portal user. Little confusing terminology but glad to have it working.

Also- strange there is not even an obvious link to iax.conf in the wiki.

This came up in a search though-
https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Iax.conf

But not listed here-
https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Category:Node_Configuration

Yes 100% that was hamvoip.

My bad

Its still the same idea but with different syntax.

Cliff, perhaps the first thing you need to know is that the way you have been using the software and login is transparent because of the ‘type’ of the actual user connection. There is no announcement that you have connected in…

When you change that to friend, some of that that changes.
You might look at asterisk user types, and that may confuse you a bit more, but you might want to look at it later anyway.

The iaxclient example would be for someone outside, say in your group or a friend you wish to allow a connection to your nodes. On connect, they would be announced, so you would want to use their call as user id. And if you would notice, the context these are routed with are not the same.

I think the original intent of this example was:
So, it is possible to have a repeater system and allow each member so described to connect in and know who is connected or doing things on the system or just hanging around monitoring.
Each member needs it’s own user id and password. The user id will be announced like a node by user id and will show in connections as a node like a Web Transceiver connection.
So, I think that was the original purpose of the example stanza.

But here is how I did this for a user.
[iax-user] ; Connect from iax client (Zoiper…)
type = friend ; Notice type here is friend <--------------
context = iax-client ; Context to jump to in extensions.conf
auth = md5
secret = password
host = dynamic
disallow = all
allow = ulaw
allow = gsm
transfer = yes

Now perhaps what you are missing is there has to be a dialplan for the folks to route the call . Please pay attention to context.
We do that routing in extensions.conf (this may be an old example that may not match yours)

[iax-client] ; for IAX VIOP clients.
exten => ${NODE},1,Ringing
exten => ${NODE},n,Wait(3)
exten => ${NODE},n,Answer
exten => ${NODE},n,Set(NODENUM=${CALLERID(number)})
exten => ${NODE},n,Playback(rpt/node|noanswer)
exten => ${NODE},n,SayDigits(${EXTEN})
exten => ${NODE},n,Set(CALLERID(num)=0)
exten => ${NODE},n,Rpt,${NODE}|P|${CALLERID(name)} ;<<< notice ‘P’ mode connection
exten => ${NODE},n,Hangup
exten => ${NODE},n(hangit),Answer
exten => ${NODE},n(hangit),Wait(1)
exten => ${NODE},n(hangit),Hangup

So the context for that mentioned in iax stanza tells it where to start looking for routing purposes. And follows instruction from there…

Make sure the context is a exact match between what you tell it in iax.conf to what it is in extensions.conf

And also notice the connection to the node is ‘P’ or phone mode
and your iaxrpt likely is using ‘X’ which is a more relaxed and less secure mode of connection. Which as I said before is not announced. Not that you can build some announcement on connection in it’s stanza in extensions.conf if you wanted, but yur actions are not announced on the air.
But the user does not show as a connection using ‘X’

While I am not completely positive as to what the end achievement you are trying for, that may be enough to get you there ?

Learning the asterisk dialplan may be the most rewarding hair pulling experience you will ever know. It is quite powerful.

Take your time to absorb some of this. I know it’s tough to get your head around and I may not be explaining it really well as I have refrained from doing so for a very long time just because it is tough to explain for me anyway. Once you ‘get it’ you too will say oh… why didn’t I get it the first time.

My connections using zopier are far different than most. I will not confuse this more than I perhaps have. For I access other voip lines and services as well as the nodes.

1 Like