Telephone Portal error

so when i try and connect to my hub via the 763-230 number it rings and tries to connect but them times out how do i connect to my hub via the allstar phone portal?

Did you configure your node to use the asl telephone service ?

Both etensions.conf and iax.conf need changes.

What directions have you been following ?

i haven’t fallowed anything i don’t know how to set it up either

I will assume you know that it is a par per service. ??

If you look in iax.conf and extensions.conf, you will find lines commented out with a “;”
and some instruction to un-comment them if you are subscribing to the service.

Sorry I can not find the instruction in the wiki, but I thought it was there.
https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Special:AllPages?from=getting+started&to=&namespace=0

so i have to buy a phone line?? im confused

I see perhaps you have not described you issue well. Perhaps from using the wrong words.

Are you trying to connect to your node by phone line via sip or iax connection,
something outside or the normal node to node connections ?

The unknown method is your use of the word ‘telephone’ as that can be many flavors.
Telephone portal is used to refer to phone assess via ASL and is not free.

So, describe your issue again. What are you trying to do ?

ok so the telephone portal (number 763-230-0000) when i try and connect with my cell phone (calling into my node via the number for allstar) it doesn’t ring and gives me a busy tone even though my node isn’t busy

The ASL telephone portal is not a free service.

You can however create your own direct telephone connection via
a SIP or IAX trunk.

Of course those are not free either.
On average I pay about $5/m ea for mine to have unlimited direct inbound dialing…

Alternatively,
you can use a sip or iax phone/pc app (softphone) to call your node direct with appropriate setup of your asterisk server.

could i use a google number?

At one time someone created software to do such a thing.
I’m not sure Google is permissive with it anymore, but could be.

That is an asterisk thing. You will have to search the web for better answers unless someone is currently doing it and can spill the beans.

well i found this will any of these work https://www.ipcomms.net/learn/download-free-softphones

Work for what ? You have not stated a goal.

Telephone access requires a telephone DID line somewhere.
Softphones are a more direct to the server and asterisk without telephone DID using sip or iax.
Both of which are a asterisk item and not a app_rpt/ASL thing.

You are going to have to take a moment and post what you are trying to achieve, and what you have to work with. Your asking everyone to guess what you are trying to do and the possibilities are endless as well as the remedies to get you there.

Then perhaps you may get a very direct reply with a correct answer or suggestion.

ok so basically i want to use a free softphone or one of my google voice numbers to dial into my own hub because the way i have to do it now is dial into someone else who’s connected to me AND on top of that i can’t control my node remotely (like out on the road from my cell phone) but i can control it when my computer is connected to the same router “via ethernet” to the same thing as the pi by the way its a raspberry pi 3B in case that’s your next question

So, it would be safe to say,
you want to be able to control and monitor your node while away from it.

From a Windows PC and or Linux with wine installed there is IAXrpt software.
https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Setup/Download_IAXRpt#Download

And, those smartphone apps that connect via sip or iax also will create a connection to the asterisk server where you can dial your node for monitor or control.

You are in for a challenge not being familiar with this stuff to setup your server in a way to accept external sip from varying ip addresses and maintain security.

For you also need to create an opening in your firewall for it and also defend against hacks which are highly prevalent to asterisk machines with open sip ports as well as load the appropriate modules in asterisk for the features those apps may require.
It’s not like the security of our ASL network where we use registered nodes with registered IP’s to verify from before allowing a connection. An open port is an open port.

All of that stuff is documented with asterisk online.
But you would basically making a softphone app a single asterisk phone extension. And that does not mean outside telephony service unless you add that separately.

If you want to connect via command line while away from your network, you can achieve that as well by port forwarding to your ssh ip in your router.
I use a rather high port number and forward down to the internal port I use in local network…
But mine is just in case of emergency and I added an extra layer of security to it.

There is also Allmon and Supermon software that would allow you to control from a webpage on your phone.

That is about all I can guide you on the topic. There are plenty of ways to do it.